Some other work

we’re still going strong

Each Tuesday Jenny and Janet have been trying different subjects – they are both beginners and have made the most wonderful progress. Here are some cats, seed heads in jam jars and trees plus a hare a sunflower and the odd flower plus my efforts whilst doing the instruction – it has been a challenge for me too

keeping our distance

We have now had two weeks of Jeudi Art and we have also welcomed the poetry group to meet upstairs in the barn. It has worked really well so far. Nobody has huddled together and we have respected the use of sanitiser – not everyone has ventured back so it has been a relatively quiet start but I think this is preferable for the comfort of all.

we did some water colour line wash
some of Daniel’s paintings

some moody paintings by me and – wait for it – a self portrait

I forgot to add this

During our confinement I had collected quite a few corks and when Janet sent through a whole page, there was no excuse to finish it. A fly screen for the back door. I’m not sure how effective it is but I love the look of it and it keeps the utility room cool. In a rush to finish I used mercerised cotton for the cords – big mistake as they are now stretching at different levels. So, after the season I will re-string with fishing wire

A step towards normality

After three months of confinement we were confident enough to re-open the doors to Jeudi Art. Not everyone was confident enough to come which was fine as it means we can slide gently back into normality and keep our social distances.

sterilised and waiting for arrivals

Jenny and Janet had decided to paint swallows today

Eric sent through this painting that he had done being inspired by the Portrait of the Year series


… and Jan sent this one through of her painting of Essaouira. Glad to see that members are still painting at home.

Dressmaking

I have been promising myself to get the sewing machine out. I have tons of fabric but had lost confidence after having had a couple of disasters. However, the Great British Sewing Bee has inspired me and these are the three items I have made within the last two weeks. (I can’t seem to be able to smile at the same time as taking the photo)

These started off as trousers, then short trousers – they just kept getting shorter and shorter. Finally happy with the length. Not very good pattern matching here – Esme would not be impressed!

A spot of cartonnage

I have been meaning to do this since acquiring lots of watches and fob watches that belonged to my Mum and Dad and also my Great Auntie Beatrice. I had bought this watch/clock paper and when it arrived was a bit larger in design than I expected. This was the perfect thing to do with it. I must admit I struggled a bit to remember what to do, it having been quite a time since the workshop with Ulricha. I made a few mistakes but it’s okay. I had bought a roll of magnetised tape, thinking that it would be easy to use. It didn’t really work as I think you needed a metal strip to stick the magnet to. It’s obvious really, but not at the time of buying it. I ended up using some velcro – a bit cumbersome. Someone has asked if I will do an online tutorial. The only thing I could manage would be a step by step still photo instruction. So watch this space.

Gabriele does some very interesting paintings

We’re still here

Coming to the end of week 6 of confinement. The weather has been mixed and every good day we are in the garden. I decided I would like to make a paper mâché sculpture for the garden. This didn’t work out so well as it wasn’t solid enough so he will have to stay indoors. I couldn’t decide how to paint him either and ended up with a black cat. Well, we are a black cat household!


I am really encouraged that beginner Jenny has been painting – she is really improving. Here are some of her paintings

Michelle and Stuart were unable to travel to France so Michelle is sending things in from their confinement in the UK

Gill got her paints out and so did Patricia

Week five of confinement

Our daughter Kate has acquired some piglets so I thought this would make a good subject for the art group. She sent this adorable photo of … she hasn’t named them because they are not pets !! and a few of us painted or used crayons. I have started following a group on Facebook called Reference photos for Artists – it’s excellent if you are looking for inspiration – I put the photo of piggy on and it was amazing the response it got.